College Student Discounts
by Nicole Livesey
As college students, we all know that carrying around your student ID is a must while living on campus. It gets you into buildings on campus, pays for food at the dining hall, and lets you check out library books. But, did you know that it could also save you money when you’re shopping, eating, or seeing a movie off campus? Many stores, restaurants, websites, and other companies provide student discounts to those who show a student ID. You can get anywhere from 25% off to free shipping from tons of popular places that you spend money at anyway! Make sure wherever you go you ask if they give discounts to students because many stores don’t even advertise their student discounts and lots have them! Here are a few that I’ve found…
::Websites with Student Sections or Discounts
- Academic Superstore: The Academic Superstore offers academic software discounts for students, teachers and schools.
- Amazon: If you join Amazon Student with a student email address you get Amazon Prime shipping for free for 6 months.
- JourneyEd: JourneyEd is another site that offers academic software at discounts for students. They have a wide selection of discounted electronics and computer software.
- Dell: Discounts at Dell will depend on each University’s affiliation.
- Apple Store: Apple Store student discounts vary. Be sure to check the current deal before making a purchase.
- Amtrak: You can get Amtrak train ticket 10% off for high school students visiting colleges. You must be traveling with an adult to take advantage of this deal.
- STA Travel: STA Travel offers student discounts for study abroad and spring break trips.
- AMC Theaters: Every Thursday AMC Theaters offers discounted tickets for students. In my area where full priced tickets are $10.50, the student price is only $7.50.
- The Art Institute of Chicago: Students looking to visit The Art Institute of Chicago can get a$50 student membership. The membership includes entry to exhibits as well as other discounts
- Broadway in Chicago: Discounted tickets are available for Broadway in Chicago shows. You can get them for as low as $14.50 each
- Metropolitan Museum of Art: If you are in the city, students can get discounted admission to Metropolitan Museum of Art. They offer $10 admission for students or $8 admission for students outside New York City, $2 for students within New York City with groups of 10 or more
- Regal Cinemas: Regal Cinemas gives up to 25% off for select shows and dates
- NYC Broadway: Many times you can buy discounted student tickets the day of the show. They sell the unsold tickets for cheap right at the box office. Ask the box office if they use a lottery system or if it is first come, first served.
- NYC Museums: As with the MET, almost all museums in NYC give student discounts
Many restaurants will not advertise these discounts. Make sure you ask around where you go to see if they have any discounts for students.
- Burger King: 10% off- ask your local restaurant if they participate
- McDonalds: 10% off – ask your local restaurant if they participate.
- Dairy Queen: 10% off
- Dominos Pizza: Different discounts depending on your college location
- Kroger: 5% off at select locations
- Papa Johns: Different discounts depending on your college location
- Pizza Hut: 10-20% off depending on location
- Qdoba: $5 student burrito meals
- Subway: 10% off
- Waffle House: 10% off
As with the food discounts, stores will not advertise these discounts so be sure to ask at the store.
- Ann Taylor LOFT: 15% off
- Ann Taylor: 20% off
- Banana Replublic: 15% off
- Charlotte Russe: 10% off
- Club Monaco: 20% off regular priced items
- J. Crew: 15% off regular priced items
- The Limited: 15% off
- Ralph Lauren Rugby: 15% off
- Urban Outfitters: 10% off on select dates
- Top Shop: 10% off
- General Motors: General Motors offers a college discount on Chevy, Buick and GMC cars
- Sam’s Club: You can get a Collegiate Annual Membership for $40 at Sam’s Club. Plus FREE $15 Sam’s Club gift card
- AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile: Will all offer student discounts if your school is a participant in their program