Fashionably Frugal: Homemade Beauty Remedies
Fashionably Frugal: Homemade Beauty Remedies
By Megan Livesey
Every woman would love to go to the spa on a regular basis, but let’s face it, that can get a bit expensive. So why not use the frugal alternative of bringing the spa into your home! Making beauty remedies in your home is not only frugal, but organic as well! It is much healthier to use what you have in your kitchen then putting unknown chemicals on your face! I have found some great face masks, hair treatments and body scrubs that you can make for yourself!
I have found that homemade face masks are usually made with, herbs, apples, oatmeal, yogurt, honey, avocado, cucumber or milk. Do all of those ingredients sound familiar? They do to me because they are all right in my kitchen! Some products are better used on oily skin, while others on dry skin, you will have to test out what works best for you! Next to each mask I wrote a blurb about why each mask will be beneficial to you – Enjoy!
- Apple Facial Mask – This mask contains a lot of vitamins and gentle acids that will nourish your skin.
- Facial Steam – A facial steam should be done once a week before a using a mask. Using herbs in your facial steam will increase circulation and is very inexpensive!
- Egg White Facial Mask – Using only 2 ingredients (egg whites and yogurt), this mask is a soothing and moisturizing.
- Strawberry Masks – Strawberries are great because they feed your skin antioxidants as well as exfoliate your face!
- Oatmeal and Yogurt – Oatmeal is a great way to rejuvenate and cleanse your skin from it’s impurities.
- Banana Mask – This mask is soothing and can really help your oily skin if you have some extra bananas around the house! I have done this mask before and I would recommend having a towel handy and using a little more honey than recommended! My skin felt great after this mask!
- Cucumber Mask – Cucumbers are great for anti-aging and moisturizing your skin. It will also tighten your pores, making your skin look healthier!
- Honey and Avacado Facial Mask – Honey and Avacado combined are great moisturizers for dry skin and will be so refreshing during the winter months!
- Milk Mask – Milk is great in a mask because the lactic acid cleanses your face, removes dead skin cells and gently exfoliates your face!
- Coffee and Cocoa Mask – Cocoa is rich in antioxidents and Coffee is a mild astringent. Together they will nourish your skin and smell amazing!
- Cat Litter Facial Mask – This is strange, but very interesting! Apparently very expensive spa facials use cat litter in their clay! It may be worth a try!
Not to many people head out to the hair salon each week to freshen up their hair or get a great shampoo. You CAN have those luxiouries just by making some homemade hair treatments! You can remove grease, conditioner dry hair, and even use fruit to condition your hair with a mask! Your hair will end up looking beautiful all at the cost of some items in your kitchen!
- Baking Soda Hair Shampoo – This shampoo will help remove grease and revive your hair whether you use it once and a while or all the time!
- Leave in Conditioner – Using leave in conditioner when you have dry hair is important, but the prices can be so high. This recipe is simply used with olive oil and water and your dry hair will be moisturized all day!
- Hair Spray – All you need is a lemon and water and a few extra ingredients! Who knew?!
- List of Hair Masks – Here is a large list of hair masks that can be made from home using ingredients such as avacado, banana and yogurt plus many more!
Exfoliating your skin is so important because we have so many dead skin cells just laying around. I’m not gonna lie, I bought a Burts Bee’s Skin Scrub for $14 a few months ago! Now I am looking at all of these great options saying “what was I thinking!” I can make something that has the same purpose, but is healthier and much cheaper! Have fun with these options!
- Coffee Body Scrub – The scent of this scrub can definitely wake you up in the morning and it is mild enough where you can use it every day!
- Oatmeal Body Scrub – Oatmeal mixed with sugar will take away the dead skin cells and you skin will glow because it moisturizes you like a deep moisturizer would!
- Hot Chocolate, Sugar Scrub – If you want to pamper yourself with a delicious smelling scrub then you must try this Hot Chocolate Sugar Scrub! Yum!
- Tropical Fruit Scrub – Using tropical fruit you can make an organic, fragrant scrub that can be used every day!
Be sure to let us know in the comments below if you have an at home remedy that you have used and loved! We would love to hear! Also, let us know if there is something you would like to see a Fashionably Frugal Post on!