Cindy’s Best Lasagna Recipe
Best Lasagna Recipe
By: Cindy Livesey
Rating: 5.0 Stars
We need to have a talk here about what is truly the Best Lasagna Recipe.
I’m not a gourmet cook by any stretch of the imagination but I cook most every night for my family and they are pretty happy (well for the most part anyway) with what I prepare. I like the basics….meatloaf, grilled chicken, pot roast, steak, macaroni and meatballs and so on. One of the things that I make, that my family loves, besides my meatballs, is lasagna.
Over the years, I have come across sites that provide readers with their version of a Lasagna recipes. I have nothing against these site as they have provided many, many great recipes. Some that I, myself, have used. However I was horrified…okay that is an extreme word… I was VERY surprised to see ingredients like, cream cheese and cottage cheese in the recipe. Okay…I WAS horrified. Who puts cream cheese and cottage cheese in lasagna? YUK! That is like some kind of country lasagna recipe.
So, since I want you guys to really experience a true New York (okay I’m from NJ) Italian Lasagna (Don’t let my married name fool you…I’m a Sabatino and proud of it!), I am providing you with my BEST Lasagna Recipe. And don’t try to substitute turkey meat either. It’s Lasagna for goodness sakes, break out the beef.
- In a large skillet, brown the ground beef seasoned with salt and pepper. Drain off excess fat. Combine with marinara and simmer for 1/2 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, mix together ricotta cheese, 1/3 cup grated cheese, eggs, parsley, salt and pepper.
- Cover bottom of a 9″ by 13″ baking dish with enough sauce to cover the bottom. Place 4 lasagna noodles on top of sauce. You can overlap the noodles. Spread 1/3 of the ricotta mixture over noodles then 1/4 of the mozzarella & grated cheese and then sauce. Repeat 2 more times.
- Cover with another layer of noodles (this will be your 4th layer). Top with sauce & mozzarella. Cover with foil and bake at 350 for 1 hour. Remove foil and bake for another 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let sit for about 1/2 hour.
- Now that’s Italian!!
Calories: 517.8 per serving
Total Fat: 33.1 g
Saturated Fat 17 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1.5 g
Monounsaturated Fat 10.7 g
Cholesterol 167.7 mg
Sodium 763.7 mg
Potassium 395.3 mg
Total Carbohydrate 22.7 g
Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
Sugars 1.6 g
Protein 30.7 g