Crock Pot Pizza
By: Gigi Howe Total time: 20 I have been hearing a lot about Crock Pot Pizza lately. I never tried it and have been curious about it, so I gave it a shot. There are a few different ways to make it, some use pasta, some bisquick and I found another recipe with pizza dough. Most were made with pasta or noodles, so I went that route. I am not really sure why its called “pizza” because to me its more like a baked ziti type of a dish. But whatever you call it, it was good and you have a lot of options and freedom with this recipe so you can be creative. I like crock pot recipes, this seemed like an interesting one to try.
Crock Pot Pizza
– 1 box of penne – 1 medium onion chopped – 2 cloves of garlic minced – 1 1/2 lbs ground meat (I used a combination of ground beef and Italian sausage) – 1 jar of spaghetti or pizza sauce – 2 cups of shredded mozerella – 2 cups of shredded cheddar – 1 package of pepperoni
1. Cook the Penne to al dente as directed on the box. 2. Brown your choice of meat and drain. 3. Sautee garlic and onion. Add browned meat and tomato sauce. Mix well. 4. Coat your crock pot with olive oil or cooking spray. You are going to add the ingredients in layers now. Add 1/3 of the meat mixture first. Then 1/3 of the penne, then 1/3 of the cheese, then 1/3 of the pepperoni. Repeat this twice. 5. Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours. Now for some alternatives…
- For a vegetarian version skip the meat and layer in your favorite sauteed vegetables.
- Try substituting ricotta for the cheddar cheese.
- For the ground meat you can used beef, ground turkey, sausage or any combination you would like. As I said, this recipe lets your creative cooking spirit come through. 🙂
Let us know if you try this recipe and what you’ve added to make it your own unique dish. Enjoy!
Crock Pot Pizza Recipe