Beginners Guide to Using Coupons
Welcome to Beginners Guide to Using Coupons brought to you by Living Rich With Coupons.
Here you will learn the right way to become a Strategic Shopper and Couponer and be able to save anywhere from 50 – 90% on your grocery bill. The LRWC version of “Extreme Couponing” is NOT by clearing shelves, having your stockpile take over your house, using unethical couponing practicing or by spending 1/2 your week preparing your shopping trip. We are “EXTREME COUPONERS” because we can save an extreme amount of money by using legitimate couponing methods, keeping a conservative stockpile of items that can pack our pantry or fit onto an extra shelf or two. And, we buy what we need for ourselves, our family and our donations without clearing shelves in the supermarket. All from only a few extra hours work a week.
Tons of Living Rich With Coupons readers have saved thousands of dollar each year by using these easy coupon strategies. All it takes is a little time, organization and you will be able to stock your pantry for so much less.
We have four sections below to help you get started. Click the links below to bring you to the section you are interested in reading about.
Step-by-Step Guide to Saving Money on Groceries
Step 1: Four Easy Steps to Get Started
Get started with this basic 4 step method of saving at the grocery store.
Step 2: Coupon Lingo
Learn the couponing terms to make it easier to understand match ups.
Step 3: Import Facts About Coupons
Here is a list of important facts you should know before you begin couponing. Learn how to tell if a coupon is fraudulent or how many coupons you can use on an item.
Step 4: Organizing Your Coupons
Learn different methods for keeping your coupons organized and ready to score some deals.
Step 5: How to Cut Your Grocery Bill
Check out these 5 easy ways that you can cut your grocery bill.
Step 6: Guide to Grocery Sale Cycles – Getting the Best Prices
Learn when frozen foods will be at their lowest or when you should stock up on paper goods or pancake syrup.
Step Up Your Savings
Now that you know the basics of how to save at the grocery store. Check out these 6 ways to step up your couponing game to save even more.
1. Catalina Deals
Catalina Deals are some of the best ways to save. Learn what they are and how to use them for the most savings.
2. Drug Store Deals
Drug stores are a great place to save when you take advantage of their store rewards programs. These programs are very similar to how the catalina deals work. Be sure to check out the posts below to find out how to save at the Drug Store
CVS 101: How to Save at CVS
CVS is a great place to start to learn how to save at the grocery store. Check out this informative video of a typical CVS shopping trip.
Walgreens 101: The “Secret” Rules and Great Deals
Learn the “Secret” Rules and how to get the best deals at Walgreens.
Find out how to take advantage of Rebates and why they are worth your time.
4. Money Saving Apps
There are so many ways. One of the newest ways to save is with a ton of new smartphone apps that allow you to save in store or as a rebate. Have a smartphone? You’ll want to take advantage of these savings.
5. Price Matching
Check out this list of stores that offer price matching
6. Rain Checks
What are the benefits of getting rain checks? Find out ways rain checks can help you save
Tips & Tricks to Help You Save
There are so many different tips & tricks to help you save. Scan through our many posts on the different tips and tricks to help you to coupon like a pro. Or, you can view the various articles we have posted here:
- Don’t Leave for Tomorrow What you Can Print Today
- Save using Competitor Coupons
- Print & Clip Coupons for New Products
- How to Print PDF Coupons
- Maximize Coupons for Free Products
- Hidden Places to Find Coupons
- How to Save Paper While Printing Coupons
- How to Save on Newspaper Coupon Inserts
- How to Organize Printable Coupons
- Understanding eCoupons
- Top 10 Ways to Find Printable Coupons
- Understanding Wording on Coupons
- Problems Printing Coupons – Troublshooting Guide
- Plan Ahead – Prepare Your Shopping Trip a Week Early
- Holiday Shopping Ideas – Tips to Shop Ahead, Organize & Stay Under Budget
- Use a Coupon Only e-mail Address
- How to Keep Track of Your Catalinas
- How to Organize Your Shopping Trip
Money Saving Tips:
- Top Money Saving Apps for 2015
- Ways to Save on Back to School Shopping
- Buy Close to Expiration Food to Save Big
- 10 Ways to Save Money With Coupons While on Vacation
- Watch Rite Aid Video Values Early Each Month
- How Target Cartwheel Offers Work
- Save By Weighing Your Produce
- Compare Sizes for the Best Deal
- Check Your Receipt Before You Leave the Store
- Why You Should Take Advantage of Free Samples
- Why You Should Take Advantage of Rebate Offers
- Why You Should Check UPC Product Codes with the Shelf Tag
- How to Take Advantage of Target Mobile Offers Without a Smartphone
- Should You Buy It Just Because It’s FREE?
- Understanding Target Clearance
- Take Advantage of All Possible Store Savings
- Price Matching
- How to Keep Your Cool While Couponing
- Did You Know…CVS Deals Track on Your Receipt
- Save By Thinking Outside the Box
- How to Get Your Grocery Budget Even Lower
- How Rain Checks Can Help You Save
- How to Shop Using Cash Envelopes
- Does it Cost Money to Save Money?
- 30 Ways to Save Money Every Day
- Top Money Wasters Back-to-School Edition: Going Off to College
- Top Money Wasters Back-to-School Edition: K-12 Essentials
- Pantry Organization – How to Maintain Your Stockpile
- Food Storage Guide – How Long Does Food Last
- How to Stock Up on Dairy Products
- The How, What & What of Stockpiling
- Guide to Grocery Sales Cycles – Know When to Stock Up
Getting Started Couponing:
- How to Get STarted Using Coupons in 4 Easy Steps
- How to Get Your Family Involved In Couponing
- Start Couponing at One Store
- Important Facts Your Should Know Before Using Coupons
- Use Your Coupons Correctly
- Couponing Lingo
- 5 Easy Ways to Cut Your Grocery Bill
Tips to Keep You Sane:
- Feeling Stressed Over Couponing? Learn How to Take It Slow
- Patience Pays in Couponing as Well – Learn Why You Can’t Become a Coupon Queen Overnight
- Don’t Try to Be That Extreme Couponer You See on TV
- College Costs 101: What Many Students DON’T Know About Their Loans
- The Value of Using Credit Cards – The Right Way
- Value of Not Using Credit Cards
- How to Get Started Setting Up a Budget
- Creative Ways to Save Money to Buy a Home
- Top Money Wasters – Baby Edition
- How to Save Money When Planning a Vacation
- Top Money Wasters Part 1 – Fees You Don’t Have to Pay
- Top Money Wasters Part 2 – Budget-Busting Bills and Purchases
- Why Saving Money Doesn’t Always Work
- The Good, the Bad, and the Dangerous: Understanding Personal Debt
- The Importance of Saving and How to Do it Right
- Are You an Emotional Spender?
- What Does it Take to Stop Living Paycheck to Paycheck?
- College Costs 101: The Right Way to Apply for College Scholarships
- Why You Need to Have a Budget…No Matter How Much Money You Make
- Saving Money Is Easier Than You Think
- Teaching Teens About Money: Understanding Budgets
- What Is a “Good” Grocery Budget for a Family of Four?
- Cheap vs. Frugal: What’s the Difference?
- When Bargain Shopping Doesn’t Pay
- College Costs 101: What Many Students DON’T Know About Their Loans
- How to Save $1000 for Your Emergency Fund Quickly
- The Secret to a Successful Budget: Accounting for Irregular Expenses
- 8 Common Items You Might Be Leaving Out of Your Budget
- Are You Financially Stable? Part 1, Understanding Financial Stability
- Are You Financially Stable? Part 2, 15 Signs of Financial Stability
How to use this site to help you save
1. Saving Resources Page: Use our Saving Resources page for the many tools we have put together to help your couponing a breeze.
2. Ask questions: That is a must. If you don’t understand something, ask. We are all here to help. Leave it in the comments, check out the Frequently Asked Questions post or send me an email by clicking on the “Contact” tab in the navigation bar.
3. Use the Coupon Database: There is an awesome Coupon Database on the site which will help you find most coupon available. There are printable coupon, insert coupons, magazine coupons as well as Cellfire coupon.
4. Check out the Store Deals: Make sure to check out all the stores by click on the “Find My Store” above to find the national stores or a store near you. You can click on the “Preview Tab” to find the deals coming up for the following week.
5. Sign up for a FREE LRWC Plus account: When you sign up for a LRWC Plus account, you can save multiple shopping lists making it even easier for you to stay organized.Watch Cindy explain how the LRWC plus account works
6. Store Coupon Policies: Make sure to print out a copy of the different store coupon policies. It’s best to always bring a copy with you when you are shopping.
7. Grocery Price Comparison Tool: Use our Grocery Price Comparison tool to check local prices on items you need. Also works great for price matching.
8. Free Weekly Meal Plans: Saving money is not just about using coupons. It’s also about preparing inexpensive, healthy meals for your family. Follow our weekly meal plans at ShopRite, Walmart & Target where we match coupons and sales along with recipes to plan our your families meals.
9. Sign up for Free Daily Emails: You can sign up by store or for our All Deals email.
10. Connect with Like Minded Couponers: We have a ton of Facebook Groups you can join to chat couponing at your favorite stores.
11. Donate from Your Stockpile: Once you have strategic shopping down and your pantry is full, please consider making a Couponing for a Cause donation to your local food bank.