You could pick up some FREE Cake Mate sprinkles at Walmart. We found Cake Mate Sprinkles on clearance for just $0.50 each (regularly $1.43). We have this $1/2 Cake Mate decorating items coupon from 3/22 Smart Source insert that makes them FREE when you buy 2.
A few weeks ago, we posted a recipe for Homemade Hummus, which reminded me of this week’s recipe. Baba Ganoush or Baba Ghanoush, Baba Ganouj, Babaganoush – many different spellings for one mighty tasty dip. Its made with one of my favorite all time foods.. eggplant. In my opinion, don’t think there is a bad way to make eggplant!
With this recipe, if you can, grill the eggplant or put it over a direct flame on your stove, like I did. It will give the eggplant a bit of a charred flavor which is nice. You can let the skin blister and crack, I just let it brown. Its not necessary at all to do this step, but its an option.
This is a recipe is by no means complicated, but it is one that I like to do over a period of time. Bake the eggplant; take it out and wait until it cools. Scoop out the pulp then let it sit and drain. If you don’t let it drain, your Baba Ganoush will be watery. Then put everything in the food processor and its done. Some people like to drizzle olive oil on top, my preference is to add it to the whole mix.
This recipe calls for Tahini and if you can’t find it near you, some of our readers commented and offered alternatives when we posted our Homemade Hummus recipe which also lists Tahini as an ingredient.
– 2 medium or 1 large eggplant – about 2 lbs. total
– 1 – 2 garlic cloves
– 2 – 3 tablespoons lemon juice
– 3 tablespoons tahini
– pinch of cumin
– pinch of chili powder
– 1 tablespoon parsley – fresh is preferred
– 1 tablespoon olive oil (optional)
– salt and pepper to taste
1. Optional step – Char eggplant on grill or over the flame of a gas burner. Rotate the eggplant as the skin chars.
2. Prick eggplant with a fork and place in 350 oven on a foil lined baking sheet. Bake for 30 -45 mins (depends on the size of the eggplant – could be longer) until the eggplant is very tender. Remove from oven and let cool.
3. Scoop out eggplant pulp. Discard skin and let pulp sit.
4. Drain any liquid from the eggplant then place eggplant in food processor along with the rest of the ingredients and blend well. If you do not have a food processor, mince the garlic and then use a potato masher to mix all ingredients. This is a nice alternative as it leaves the eggplant a little chunky.
4. Let cool and serve with pita, french bread, crackers or fresh vegetables for dipping.
Yay! There are tons of great Walmart deals lately, I’m loving it! Walmart sells the Colgate Toothpaste, 4 oz bottles for $0.94. We have a $0.50/1 Colgate toothpaste 3 oz coupon from the 4/12 Smart Source Insert making this just $0.44 after the coupon! Stock up time!
Assuming the Dial Glycerin Bar Soap and the Deodorant Bar Soap are included in the sale (which we will confirm Sunday), we will be able to score Dial Soap for FREE! That’s a pretty awesome deal, especially neat using the new app!