Extreme Couponing Tip
Here are some tips on how to be a TRUE Extreme Couponer
This week’s tip is: Keep Your Cool
We have all been there, standing at the register watching our coupons tick off one by one bringing our total bill down, down and down. Until all of a sudden, everything stops and you are informed that you can not use this coupon because…..
Well, because of a number of strange and funny reasons. Through the years of having this blog I have heard a lot of funny excuses but, because I’m getting old and I can’t remember anything, I could not think of one funny excuse. So, I thought, let me post that question on the LRWC facebook. And, that is what I did.
And boy, are there some funny ones for sure. I can’t list them all, so head over to the Facebook Page and read them when you have a chance. Here are just a few of them:
- Karen said: “because apparently any size excludes 16oz… and 20oz… and 1 liter… oh!!! you get the picture!!! its because the size i was buying didnt say ‘any size’!!!”
- Allison said: “You can’t use that coupon( b1g1) because you have to buy three items! (what?) I am already buying one. It does not say b2g1.”
- Alisa said: “according to the cashier, i couldn’t use the coupon for the item “because I would be getting it for free”
- Anita said: “i was told my coupon was suspicious and they dont take suspicious coupons…it was from a sunday insert…”
- Kerry said: “I was told that I couldn’t use my coupons. I asked why and was told, “I don’t know. You just can’t.” Well that explains it lol!!!”
- Sue said: “because she was supposed to leave in five minutes and i had too many coupons”
But, in all seriousness, what do we do when we are confronted the words, “You can’t use this coupon because…”
Well, We Keep Our Cool! And, here are a few ways to help you do just that
::Educate Yourself First
Educate yourself on coupons. Being educated on the basic information about coupons enables you to discuss your situation with the cashier or manager. Imporant things you should know include learning about fraudulent coupons, UPC codes, the value of the coupons and more. Be sure to check out the Important Facts Your Should Know Before Using Coupons post to help get you started.
::Use the Coupon How They Are Intended to be used
Be sure that you are, in fact, using the coupon exactly how it is indented to be used. If the coupon is not meant to be used on trial size items, then do not try to use it on that.
::Understand the Store’s Coupon Policy
Knowing your store’s Coupon Policy is a very important step to ensure that your transactions go smoothly. If your stores only allows you to use 4 of the same coupons in a transaction, then that is all you can use. If they have decided that they are limiting the number of internet printed coupons, then make sure you stay within that limit. Also, be sure to print out your Store’s Coupon Policy and read through it and have it with you at the store. If you have a question regarding something in the policy, then, by all means, ask at customer service for a clear explanation.
If they know and see that you are all about couponing within the rules, then they are less likely to question you for some of the silly reasons above.
::Evaluate the situation
While you are in line, quickly evaluate the situation and determine how important that purchase is to you. Is the purchase just something for free, discounted or if you remove it from your order, will it throw off your catalina purchase? If the item will not effect your total order, consider the following options:
- Have them remove the item and try another time
- If a manager is quickly available ask to speak to a manager
- Ring up the item, without using the coupon, and head over to customer service after you complete your order. If at that time, they still will not honor the coupon, simply return the item.
If you have calmly tried to plead your case and you still feel you are right, then contact the store’s corporate office.
Again, if you are educated in the use of coupons, you were using the coupons how they are intended to be used and you followed your store’s coupon policy, in the end, you should be able to discus your situation calmly with either customer service, a manager or corporate.
If you are new to couponing, you may want to check out the Couponing for Beginners section where you will find a lot of answers to your questions.