I have had many requests for a good solid checklist for sending your kids off to college. We’ve had a few experiences with the whole college dorm room thing around here and this is what we’ve come up with!
College Dorm Checklist: What to Bring for Your College Dorm Room
Dorm Room Room Checklist – PDF Download
Leaving for college can be a stressful yet exciting time for students as well as parents; saying good-bye to home and going off to start a new life, in a new place, with all new people. For incoming freshmen, knowing what to bring to create a comfortable living environment at school can be a whole challenge in itself. I know that every new student wonders, “How can I possibly fit ALL of my stuff in this small 12’x15’ room while sharing it with a total stranger?” That’s where we come in!
Here is a little guide to help parents as well as students know what the essentials are for a college dorm room and how to make it all fit comfortably.
- Comforter – Dark, durable and a Twin XL!
- Sheets & Padding
- Sheets (grab 2 sets of twin XL)
- egg crate – believe me you need this
- mattress pad -Note: The egg crate and mattress pad make your sleep MUCH better on dorm beds. Don’t skip this.
- body pillow – you will probably be against a cold stone wall – this makes it less cold feeling!
- Draw Organizer
- School Supplies/BackPack/bag – Note: Back to School Deals are listed right on our site!
- Message Dry Erase Board
- LockBox –Always lock up your passport, insurance card or anything else of value! Things sadly do get stolen!
- Laptop You really do need this.
- Printer: We for sure recommend a wireless Brother Printer! It’s better than have your own then always having to rely on the library!
- TV – You can always just use your laptop – but sometimes its nice to watch actual tv
- Amazon Fire Stick
- Apple TV
- Power Strips You might only have 1 outlet for yourself!
Note: you won’t need a floor lamp most likely because the overhead lighting will light up the room ( if you do you can grab one when you get there).
Most dorm rooms don’t allow you to take down the existing curtains. If you know for a fact that your school does not provide curtains then find simple ones that are cheap because they’re probably going to get pretty dirty.
- Storage bins – I promise you’ll need more storage
Note: Under bed storage is key. If you’re wondering where you’re going to fit all of your stuff, this is where.
- Shoe Organizer
- YOU NEED A FAN – unless you are lucky enough to have air conditioning.
- Towels Note: Get big towels – if you have a community bathroom – you’ll have to walk down the hall in your towel
- Bathrobe –
- Shower Caddie
- Shower shoes – please wear shoes 🙂
- Full Length Mirror
- Trash Can
- Carpet that fills most of your floor
- Bathroom Rug
- Refrigerator If your school doesn’t automatically supply you with a refrigerator/freezer then you definitely need to buy one/sometimes you can rent one! check into that!
- Ironing Board/Iron
- Laundry Basket
- Detergent – search for a deal in our GPC!
- Cleaning Supplies –search for a deal in our GPC!
- Air Fresheners
- Extension Cords
- Surge Protector
- Over Door Hooks
Dorm Room Essentials Checklist – PDF Download