Cooking With Soup
By: Gigi Howe
Total time: 15
Earlier in the month we posted the Swanson Broth coupons so I thought I would share another recipe on cooking with soup. This is a little more involved that the last cooking with soup recipe – Tomato French Salad Dressing with a can of condensed tomato soup – but this recipe is a whole meal in itself.
This recipe is made in the crock pot. You can add/change your own meat preferences so you have a lot of choices with this recipe.
– 2 cups chicken broth
– 1 large bell pepper diced (I prefer red pepper)
– 1 large onion diced
– 2 stalks celery, diced
– 1 cup uncooked rice
– 1 14 1/2 ounce can of diced tomatoes, undrained
– 1 lb of ham, kielbasa, sausage or andouille sausage – uncooked
– 3/4 lb of raw boneless chicken thighs or breast, cut into pieces
– 1/2 lb of shrimp
– 1 tablespoon of creole seasoning – if you don’t have creole seasoning see below *
1. Combine all ingredients EXCEPT the shrimp into a crock pot.
2. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hrs or high for 5-6.
3. Stir in shrimp, cover and cook for approximately 30 mins more until shrimp turns pink.
Now you can have some fun with this recipe by adding or omitting any of the meat or shrimp. Its all up to you and what you and your family like. I have made this with just chicken and we enjoy it. You can also make this as spicy or mild as you would like. I usually put a bottle of Tabasco sauce on the table and let everyone be responsible for their own level of mouth-burning sensations! 😉 Oh and by the way, here’s our post on the new Tabasco coupon.
* If you don’t have creole spices use a combination of pepper, onion & garlic powder, paprika, oregano and thyme.