By: Gigi Howe
I’ve had chicken satay out many times but why not make it at home. Its very easy to prepare. I like the different flavors that come through. This recipe has a peanut sauce that you prepare separately then serve it with the chicken. Its tasty, give it a try! You make this recipe with boneless chicken breasts which are on sale at a few of the stores.
– 1 lb. boneless chicken breasts, pounded slightly and cut into 1 inch wide strips
– 1/4 cup soy sauce
– 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
– 1 tablespoon brown sugar
– 1 garlic clove minced
– 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
– 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (split)
– 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
You will also need (12) 8 inch long bamboo skewers (metal ones are fine too).
1. In a bowl, mix soy sauce, vegetable oil, brown sugar, garlic, red pepper and 2 tablespoons of lemon juice. Add chicken strips and let marinate for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
2. Soak bamboo skewers in water for at least 20 mins. to prevent charring when cooking.
3. Thread chicken on skewers and either place chicken on grill or you can broil them.
4. In bowl mix peanut butter, the remaining 2 tablespoons of lemon juice and 1/3 – 1/2 cup of hot water until smooth. If you want to give your sauce some more flavor, you can add some minced garlic and a touch of soy sauce. Be creative, sample the sauce and make it to your liking!
5. Brush chicken with peanut sauce before serving. Serve with remaining sauce on the side. Also this is nice served with rice and a tossed salad.