By: Gigi Howe
Want a nice change from the traditional tossed salad? Give this a try. This recipe has been around quite a while. It was created in NYC in the late 1800’s. What I like about the recipe, besides the way it tastes, is that you have the option to add other ingredients to the basic recipe. Plus right now, with apples being in season and the Checkout 51 Rebate ($0.25/1) we have available until the 12th, why not give this recipe a try!
I like adding raisins or dried cranberries to the recipe. You can add grapes, some people add pineapple or coconut, try different nuts or go where ever your taste buds send you! You can also substitute pears for the apples, which is also delicious! Just peel the pears first, you don’t have to peel the apples for this recipe.
Let us know if you try this and what you like to add to this recipe.
– 2 cups diced unpared apples
– 2 tablespoons lemon juice
– 1 teaspoon sugar
– 1/2 cup mayonnaise
– 1 cup thinly sliced celery
– 1/2 cup broken walnuts
1. Toss apples with lemon juice, sugar and 1 tablespoon mayonnaise.
2. Just before serving, add celery, nuts and the rest of the mayonnaise. Toss well.
3. Serve on lettuce.