By: Gigi Howe
Last week I shared one of my favorite cookie recipes – German Pecan Brittle Cookies. This week, I have another favorite. These cookies disappear fast! You roll the dough into balls, bake the cookies, then roll them in powdered sugar while they are still hot and you have a delicious melt-in-your-mouth cookie! I’ve had Scandinavian cookies that are extremely similar to these. The only difference that I know of is the shape of the cookie. These are rolled into balls, the Scandinavian cookies are shaped into crescents. These cookies tend to be on the fragile side, so personally I think the round balls hold up better. I’ve seen these cookies go by many names – Butterballs, Mexican Wedding Cookies, Nutballs to name a few.
I received this recipe from an acquaintance years ago. I’m not sure of the exact yield of this recipe; it depends on how large you roll your cookies but the recipe can make approximately 5-6 dozen cookies. There is also not an exact measurement for the confectioners sugar since that depends on how many cookies you roll! There are plenty cookies for friends and family to enjoy. You can always cut the recipe in half, if you prefer not to make that many cookies.
– 1 lb butter
– 8 tablespoons granulated sugar
– 4 cups flour
– 3 cups finely chopped nuts – I use walnuts, pecans are good too
– 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
– 1/4 teaspoon salt
– 2-3 cups powdered sugar
1. Cream shortening and granulated sugar in a large mixing bowl. Add vanilla and salt, blend well. Slowly add in the flour. Mix well.
2. Stir in the finely chopped nuts. Your dough will be very thick, so do the best mixing that you can do. You may have to knead the dough.
3. Roll dough into approximately 1 – 1 1/2 inch balls and place on ungreased cookie sheet. (These cookies do not expand much at all so you can put them close together on the cookie sheet.)
4. Bake for 15 mins (cookies should not have much color) in 350 degree oven.
5. Remove from cookie sheet and roll cookies in powdered sugar to coat. Cookies will be hot which helps the sugar coat the cookie. Place on wire rack to cool.
6. Optional – Sprinkle with additional powdered sugar.
Yield: 5-6 dozen.