By: Gigi Howe
Shhh… I’ve made this recipe and no one knows its zucchini. They think its the traditional slaw with cabbage. 😉 Sometimes vegetables are not real popular at my house. I love them, but I can only speak for myself! 😉
Summers are wonderful with all the delicious fruits and vegetables available. I don’t know if you have a vegetable garden but zucchini seems to be a staple for many backyard gardens. Anyway, I’ve made this recipe for years. I just serve it, don’t always say what it is. Everyone likes it. It makes up quickly with a food processor and is a nice colorful summer salad. You have to make sure you let the shredded zucchini drain for a while, otherwise the slaw will turn out watery.. but it still tastes good.
– 6 medium zucchini, shredded
– 1 tsp. salt
– 1 large carrot, grated
– 1 small onion, minced
– 1 stalk of celery, minced
– 1 red pepper, chopped or thinly sliced
– 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parseley
– 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
– 1/2 – 3/4 cup mayonnaise (low fat is fine)
– 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
– 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
– 1 tablespoon olive oil
– 1 tablespoon honey
– 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
– salt & pepper to taste
1. Combine zucchini and salt. Place in colander and let stand for 30 mins. Rinse under cold water, drain and squeeze out excess moisture.
2. Put zucchini in bowl. Add carrots, onion, celery and red pepper. Toss well.
3. Combine the remaining and stir into zucchini and vegetables mixture.
4 . Refrigerate until ready to serve.